Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. > Articles > All About Lead Poisoning

All about Lead Poisoning

Lead poisoning has made an unfortunate appearance in the news lately. Between toys from China, lead-based paint in older houses, and lead-contaminated soil outside of the house, it seems that the toxic metal is everywhere in modern life. Also known as saturnism, plumbism, and painter’s colic, lead poisoning can cause irreversible neurological damage, as well as cardiovascular effects and reproductive problems.

Most lead poisoning cases occur in two groups: those exposed to the metal through their line of work and children under the age of twelve. Young children sometimes ingest contaminated soil or sweet-tasting lead paint chips. Lead paints are more likely to chip, making it easier for small children to eat small pieces. If enough of the metal is consumed, blood concentration will reach a toxic level, resulting in physical symptoms.

Effects of toxic lead levels include reduced cognitive abilities, nausea, insomnia, a metal taste in the mouth, headache, extreme lethargy or hyperactivity, weight loss, vomiting, and appetite loss. Additionally, dangerous lead build-up can create a bluish line around the gums, also known as Burton’s Line. Additionally, examinations of blood profiles of people who are suffering from lead poisoning can reveal basophilic stripping of red blood cells.

The most important treatment of lead poisoning is to limit exposure to the toxic metal. However, some forms of chelation therapy can help this type of poisoning. If you have been exposed to lethal levels of lead in either your home or workplace, it is important to retain experienced legal counsel in order to fight for your rights. The Racine personal injury lawyers at Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® can help you today at 800.682.3434.