For families living in older homes or dwellings with older heating systems or appliances, the threat of carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious issue worth consideration. This colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas cannot be detected by humans without the use of a special sensor designed for such a task. It is also poisonous, and when individuals are exposed to high levels of it they run the risk of suffering serious injury or even death. Due to its lack of sensory stimulus and its toxicity, carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous.
There are a number of ways that individuals are inadvertently exposed to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. This gas is created through the incomplete combustion of fuels such as coal, wood, oil, or natural gas. Around the home, machines and mechanisms such as furnaces, cars, generators, and fireplaces are all potential producers of carbon monoxide. If these appliances and vehicles are not in proper working order, then the home occupants run the risk of suffering carbon monoxide poisoning.
Those who have been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide will generally experience the following symptoms:
If you experience any of the above symptoms while in your home, then you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide. Manufacturers of malfunctioning products that produce carbon monoxide may be held liable for any injuries you sustain from this threat.