Lead poisoning is caused by exposure to increased levels of the metal lead in the blood. It could cause neurological damage, renal disease, cardiovascular effects, and reproductive toxicity. The federal government has long since banned the use of lead in household products and items. However, the presence of lead still exists in older homes. It is important to be knowledgeable of what items could potentially consist of lead as well as what the symptoms and treatments of lead poisoning are.
It is often hard to determine if symptoms are being caused by lead poisoning or some other ailment, but there are key things to look for. Common symptoms include:
Unique symptoms of lead poisoning include having a metal taste in your mouth, excess lethargy, or hyperactivity. Extreme cases of lead poisoning can suffer a seizure of even a coma.
Lead toxicity in humans can often lead to the formation of a bluish line along the gums. This line is known at Burton’s line. It is seen most often in adults and very rarely in young children.
If you or someone you know has suffered injury or death due to lead poisoning, you have a right to hold those responsible for your exposure accountable.